Sunday, January 2, 2011

Something On A Sunday

Hall House 07.06.08

I appreciate interesting interior design. I don't think I am that good at it, but I have an appreciation for those who are. I tend to alternate between a nicely cluttered home or one that is ordered, much in the style of Feng Shui.

One goal I have set for myself in this new year is to downsize and simplify. But in doing so I don't want to lose the essential essence of how I live and how I interact with my family. What am I getting at? I had a conversation with a good friend a few weeks back and the subject of downsizing and simplifying came up. He asked me about my memories of growing up with my parents and grandparents and the feelings I had for their homes. I recall that they had the feeling of being lived in and not museum pieces. Then he asked, "What do you think your grandchildren will remember best, a home that is cluttered with all the things that reflect who you are and make your life what it is, or a home that is Feng Shui?"

He made a good point.

I still will strive to downsize and to simplify, simple because it is needed. But in doing so, I will be mindful not to give up what makes our house a home; not to lose who we are.

No comments: