Friday, May 7, 2010

Home

April did not end and May did not start as I would have had it for The Disney Obsession. For that, I apologize.

Why? For starters, work is work and it has been busy. More importantly, my grandchildren are home for a few weeks. Mind you, I have not been able to be with them every minute of every day, but with them in town spending an hour here or an hour there with them has been wonderful. And, it has kept my focus away from the blog for while.

But as I take a moment to check in and give you a brief update, I do want to write a little about being thankful.

You may be aware that Nashville, my home, suffered a devastating flood this past weekend. Some have called it the 100 Year Flood. Reports are that we received 1/4 our average annual rainfall over the course of this past Saturday and Sunday. Estimates are that the city has sustained over $1 billion in damage which includes the famed Grand Ole Opry, our historic riverfront district, the symphony center, the Country Music Hall of Fame, and the mammoth Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center.

Yet, what is more tragic than these, for they will be restored, is the loss in human life and the quality of life for many thousands of Nashvillians. While the loss of life could have been much worse I suppose, it is tragic that even one should die. We were saddened to learn of one who drowned inside their car while pinned in traffic as the waters rose. Or of the couple who were sweep from their car while trying to get to higher ground. But we can rejoice when we hear of a mother and daughter who made it safety atop an ottoman.

As I drove to my office this morning I saw the beginnings of mounds of ruined carpet, sofas, beds and bag upon bag of the things that used to make houses into homes. I see the images on my computer of people laying out their family photographs on the grass so that they can dry, or trying to salvage their books. I look at the trees and the sides of houses and can see how high the water rose a few days ago. And that muddy reminder will remain until the next rain comes to wash it away; the city we’re experiencing a critical water shortage so we can not wash away the grime just yet.

The city comes together; rich and poor, the famous and the unknown, to clean up and to rebuild. No one is a stranger in Nashville today as people stop by the road to help a stranger clean up.

Nashville is known for its music. Music will once again fill the air. We were reminded of our heritage this morning as our symphony, joined by Christopher Cross, gave a concert on the Public Square. The Opry will continue to entertain and to broadcast, but from a borrowed home this weekend and over the next few months of weekends. Our schools will reopen and as the water recedes people will go back to work.

Being thankful.

I am thankful that my home was not affected, save for a few drops of water around a window casing. While my daughter’s home did sustain flood damage, she and my son-in-law are safe. Of what makes their house a home, most everything is in tack. The others in my family, my mom, my son and his family, my step-son and his family, my sister and her family; we, our pets and our homes are all okay.

We’ll get together this weekend and celebrate Mother’s Day. We’ll play with our children and grandchildren, watch a few movies and eat pizza. We’ll go to church on Sunday and we’ll give thanks for making this far. Then, we’ll get back to work.

Yes, I am thankful!

Life is good.

No comments: