Monday, February 22, 2010

Disney World After Dark: The Darkroom

I was once asked what was my least favorite park in Walt Disney World. Without having to give it much thought, I answered, Disney's Hollywood Studios. And truly, it isn't that I didn't like it the least, I simply liked the other parks more. Now having shared that I will add that DHS is growing on me.

It is growing on me but not for the rides or attractions; though any visit to the park is not complete without a spin on the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith, a run through the arcade fun of Toy Story Midway Mania and a nostalgic journey through film in The Great Movie Ride. It is also not about the food; though a trip for me is certainly not complete without PB&J shake at the 50's Prime Time Cafe and Carrot Cake Cookie from The Writers Stop.

It is growing on me and it is for the architecture! The Studios are filled with spectacular examples of Art Deco architecture along Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards and these facades have become a magnet for me whenever I am in the park - especially at night. The Studios also offer up a few examples of "California Crazy" or Programmatic architecture. Programmactic architecture is also known as "mimetic" or "mimic" architecture in that its design mimics something not usually associated with buildings. One example of this greets you as you enter the park and begin to make your way down Hollywood Blvd. It is The Darkroom.

The facade of The Darkroom in DHS is fashioned after The Darkroom camera shop once located at 5370 Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles. The shop was built in 1938. To learn more about this architectural gem, visit PreserveLA.

In the weeks to come, Disney World After Dark will explore some my favorite nighttime shots inside Disney's Hollywood Studios.

More to follow...

1 comment:

Gator Chris said...

I agree that after dark is possibly the best time to explore DHS.