Sunday, March 23, 2008

Editor's Note: Verification

I am not a big fan of the squiggly letters and numbers that I sometime have to add to my comment in order for it to post. And like the brothers over at Imaginerding, I love to receive comments. When your live with the reality that few comments are left on your blog, you don't want to do anything that makes it harder for a reader of The Disney Obsession to leave a comment. And, believe me, I don't. But...

Recently I have received several spam comments telling my to either "See here or here" or "Please push here." Don't worry, there are no links on this page, except to our friends at Imaginerding. The first time I received one of these, I, thinking I received a comment clicked on "here". A few hours later my security protocol finished all its scans and discovered that nothing had gotten in. But since that morning I have received a half dozen or so comments that fit this same description.

So, I have added the verification procedure to my comments page. It was a tough decision and I hope that this measure will prevent the spam from showing up, but not you! Please take that extra step, tilt your head back and forth until you figure out the characters and then please enter them onto your comment. But more importantly, decide first to leave a comment. We bloggers need those displays of appreciation and support to know that what we are doing has some merit.

I apologize for the inconvenience and on behalf of all bloggers out there, thank you for taking the time read our work and to leave your comments.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

DOC--

Andrew and I struggled with the same decision and we took the same route.

Comments rock our world but the spam does not.

I hope ours will be temporary (until after my WDW trip next week)--since it is hard to moderate comments from afar.

Ryan P. Wilson said...

I have been fighting the same internal conflict. I don't want to feel like I am censoring someone, yet I feel these sites they are linking too cause a problem to my readers, and they deserve some protection. I think I too will be headed down this path very soon.