Friday, July 1, 2011

Photo Phriday

My wife and I were driving home from having seen Cars 2 this past Saturday. A good film but it will not (in my opinion) rank among the best of Pixar. Still, a good film and Pixar still tells a good story and creates stunning digital scenery. But I digress. We were driving home and our talk turned to favorites and the subject of favorite bands came up. That is one of the easiest questions I will ever have to answer. My favorite band is The Beatles!

While we lived in England, my mother and sister flew over for a two week visit. This was shortly after the funeral for Diana: Princess of Wales. It was their first time in England and we planned to as much as we could during their stay. My wife and my mother took a trip to West Country for a few days and my sister and I took the EuroStar to Paris for a few days. But prior to these trips, my sister and I took a Beatle walking tour. This, along with a number of other tours, are conducted by a The Original London Walks.

The stop that I looked forward to most on the tour was the chance to see Abbey Road Studios. Sure, we saw other landmarks: Paul McCartney's townhouse in Soho, the Indica Gallery, the Apple Headquarters on Savile Row (site of the famous rooftop concert), and others. But it was Abbey Road that I looked forward to most. Abbey Road - home to some of the most creative music ever composed and recorded.
The tour would not allow us to enter the building or to visit the studios, but I did manage to have a photo taken on the steps.
I completed the tour by making my walk across the Abbey Road Crosswalk. I made my sprint across sporting denim, as the late George Harrison did. I would have preferred to wear white while making my cross, in honor of my favorite Beatle, John Lennon, but sadly, my white suit was in Nuneaton at the time.

Sprint? Yes. You must bear in mind that the Metropolitan Police halted traffic during the photo shot for the Beatles. Fans making the pilgrim across Abbey Road must do so minding the traffic. Cars are were not obligated to stop, so you pick your moment, make sure that someone has a camera ready, then you set out.

I did.

"And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make."

2 comments:

Ryan P. Wilson said...

I love this story Greg! And the photographs are great too. I love when we finally get to do some of those moments that will last forever. Thanks for sharing!

Greg said...

Thanks Ryan. It has been a lot of fun going through old photographs and recalling the memories of each.