Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Wall

For those of you who visit here often or follow me on Facebook, you will know that I recently took a trip to St. Louis with my son. The event that prompted the trip was the Roger Waters Wall Tour 2010. But what was so much more important to me was the ability to spend a good deal of uninterrupted time with my son. You see, the last time we were able to be together for any length of time without family, work commitments, war, and so forth, was 1994. It was his graduation trip to Walt Disney World in June of that year. A great time, despite it raining every day. Which isn't so bad in and of itself, but we were camping at Fort Wilderness - Spanish Moss Trail.

I wanted to post this particular photograph from show because it summed up so many things from those 48 hours and why they are special to my memories.

My son served in Iraq. He served in other places too - places he can not or will not talk about. But, he came home! You see, preceding this images were stills and video projected on The Wall of families being reunited when the warrior comes home. My son reach over, clutched my hand, and said, "Dad, we had that moment didn't we."

It took me a moment, but I said, "Yes, we did son."

I was crying.

I am very proud of my son!

And I am so very thankful that God brought my boy back home!

No comments: