Monday, July 14, 2008

All In The Family: Part Two

I sat down this evening thinking I would update the running Where In The World photo series. But I don’t know, I am feeling a little nostalgic this evening and when I get nostalgic I think mostly about friends and family.

So, the photo can wait. Although, I do have a photograph of a hidden Spaceship Earth I want to share. I have more about that at a later date.

Now for nostalgia.

As many of you know I was in Passamaquoddy for the 4th of July Cookout. Had I not been there, I would have either been with some of family on a lake in Michigan, or in my mother’s backyard with other family. Notice the trend? Wherever Doc is, family and friends are there also.

But about my mom. Every year she has company during the 4th of July, and the 5th, 6th, 7th, and so on and so on. There are brothers, sisters, aunts, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and every now and then a niece or nephew will show up. I house is packed. I know; her house is right behind mine. And food? You could feed the whole neighborhood with what comes out of Mama Doc’s kitchen.

So, what does this have with Disney? Well, nothing really, I just want to honor my mother. It doesn’t have to be Mother’s Day for us to honor our moms.

I will say about a little about mom and Disney though. In a post some time ago I mentioned how my mom calls herself “my enabler.” And she is. She’ll call the house and ask, “Are you doing anything?” “Well, not right now mom.” “Well, walk over here a minute. I got something for you.” Nine times out of ten it will be something related to my Obsession. It may be a little figurine, or a magazine with a article or perhaps a recipe from Disneyland or Walt Disney World. But then sometimes there will be larger items, like once she had Buzz & Friends Pixar Characters Train.

Mama Doc is also my defender. Not everyone can appreciate the true magic of Disney like we geeks. My grandmother didn’t understand. Likewise for some friends of the family and so forth. I know you can relate to this. My mother (who by the way, doesn’t “get it”) will always defend my love for Disney. Her answer, “It is something he loves and there are a whole lot of other things he could be doing that you may wish he wouldn’t be doing.” That usually ends the conversation.

I could go on and on, but I read somewhere that posts should not be over-long.

But let me close by encouraging you in two areas. First, seek out the “enablers” and “defenders” in your life and give them a big hug and say “Thank you.” We, the B.P.O.M., are free to be who we are because of these wonderful people. Second, if you still have mom with you, call her up, say “Thanks, and I love you mom.” She doesn’t need to know why. You do, and that it all that matters for now.

More to follow…

Arrival for the Doc "Fifty In Disney" Celebration - April 2007

3 comments:

Princess Fee said...

I really enjoy these 'All in the Family' posts - and I love the use of 'enabler' and 'defender'. I guess mine would be my Dad - he really gets Disney, and will always think of me first when he hears or sees anything to do with Disney.
Anyway, loved the post and I think it's always important to remember and show love for family whenever you possibly can!

Craig Wheeler said...

Perspective. Your mom put some in there. Some people just don't understand why we like Disney, but I'm sure there are things that they do which others don't understand.

I like these little personal glimpses. Keep it up.

And do you really have your own jet?

Anonymous said...

Did you not have a better picture of "your mom"?