Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Forwarding Email

I am not a big fan of forwarding email. Most people who know me know that. Consequently, my inbox is not littered with subject lines that begin "Fwd:" And this is a good thing. More often than not when I see something has been forwarded I'll delete it without reading it. However there are some occasions that I will open a forwarded email.

These times are when the email comes from family or one or two very close friends. Knowing that they know my aversion, yet still forwarding something, I'll usually take a look.

No long ago my daughter-in-law sent something. It was a PowerPoint show that someone had put together about aging. It had a nice Windham Hill-esque soundtrack and a variety of outdoor images; epic grandeur. Each slide featured a bit of wisdom as to growing old. So, being one who is growing old I thought I'd take the few minutes to watch the presentation.

I must say, I was struck by what I read. In fact, some of what I read that day brought about some changes in how I live life today. If I may, in the spirit of departing from the Disney theme for a moment, I'd like so share these small pieces of wisdom with you.
  1. Throw out nonessential numbers: age, weight, height.
  2. Keep only cheerful friends - the grouches pull you down.
  3. Keep learning: learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, whatever. Never let the brain be idle.
  4. Enjoy the simple things.
  5. Laugh often, long and loud.
  6. The tears happen. Endure, grieve and move on. The only person who is with us our entire life, is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive.
  7. Surround yourself with what you love, whether it's family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge.
  8. Cherish your health: if it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable, improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.
  9. Don't take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall, even to the next county; to a foreign country but NOT to where guilt is.
  10. Tell people that you love them at every opportunity.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

I don't know who to credit the PowerPoint to, or to whom these bits of wisdom came from. But I thank them. I also thank my daughter-in-law for going against the grain and sending these along to me. I find some of them quite profound and inspiring. And in my desire for a simpler life I have found them helpful.

Perhaps you will too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good list - I like all of them. I would add not only to surround yourself with what you love, but remove all the excess that hides or detracts from what you love.
170 more days until my first WDW visit :)