Sunday, August 16, 2009

This Just In...

Depending on what part of the country you live in, you may call them garage sales, rummage sales or yard sales. And our friends across the water call them boot sales (and I have picked up a fine trinket or two from a few of them; in fact almost missed a train because of one in Stratford-upon-Avon. But that is another story entirely.) Me personally, I call them yard sales.

My brother-in-law Russ is a connoisseur of yard sales. Seriously, he is a professional. He will visit sale after sale and come home with items as small as a set of coasters, or as large as a jet ski with trailer. He also came across a rather large collection of antique cameras. I am fairly certain these would sell for a considerable amount of money and he took them home for next to nothing. His collection of pencil sharpeners is rather impressive too. But whatever it is, Russ is a master!

Every so often, Russ, like other family and friends will think about me when they run across something of a Disney nature. For which, I am very appreciative. So, it was not surprising that a few weekends ago Mrs. Doc answers the front door and is given a rather large package addressed to me. Obviously, I am excited. I quickly opened the package and found a first edition The Art of Walt Disney by Christopher Finch. Wow! The book is huge and will take more than a few minutes to go through. You’ll see that the dust jacket is missing as is the paint bucket, but the raised image of Mickey holding a paintbrush is there as are the 458 pages of incredible content.

The stack of books I have to read has just gotten taller. And this, before I lay in a copy of Pierre Lambert’s Mickey Mouse.

Thanks Russ. I know you probably don’t read The Disney Obsession, but I thank you anyway. What a wonderful surprise!
More to follow…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a great book! Even without a cover. :)

Princess Fee said...

What a beautiful find!! I haven't even thought of going to any 'car boot sales' to have a rummage...maybe I should!