Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Sign Its Saturday

I have heard it said that Disneyland is "Walt's park" in that he walked the streets and had his apartment there. That is one of the primary reasons that I wish to visit Disneyland someday; to walk in Walt's footsteps. More specifically, I would like to have a series of photographs made of me standing in the precise locations that he stood in some of those iconic pictures we've seen of him. Granted, the streets will not be deserted as they were for him in some of this pictures. Just as traffic was not stopped when I had my photograph taken crossing Abbey Road.

When I think of "Walt's park", something I like to recall is that Walt walked the swamps and marshes of what is now Walt Disney World. No, he didn't walk down Main Street U.S.A. or have is photograph taken as he came through the arch in front of Cinderella Castle. But he was here and he was casting his vision for the "Florida Project" as only he could.

I like to look for those little "Walt Moments" in the parks; looking for the certain something that says Walt Disney had a hand in this. The Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress is just that. It is a chance to get out of the heat, sit, relax and enjoy a classic attraction that Uncle Walt himself had a very active part in designing.

Dated? Yes. Timeless? By all means!

Next time you find yourself exiting Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, instead of moving on to the next thing, make Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress your next thing and experience a little bit of Walt Disney.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I grew up going to Disneyland during the 1950-1970 era. I loved Carousel of Progress and especially the song "It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" (shining at the end of every day)...
I haven't been to WDW yet, but I will be sure to come to COP when I do.
I'm enjoying your blog, BTW.